How Much Are Pet Costs Per Month?
Owning a pet takes a lot of responsibility and impacts your monthly expenses. There’s much more to caring for your pets than buying the necessary toys, collars, and bedding.
Additional pet costs include pet sitting during travel, nutrition, training, and veterinary bills, among other things. Over time these costs add up, causing a financial burden if you don’t properly budget for care and emergencies.
Not to worry! There are plenty of ways to manage your expenses to align with your lifestyle and pet’s needs. Today we cover 8 ways to save money on your pet expenses to give you and your pet the best life possible.
1. How to Save Money on Pet Toys
According to pet spending statistics, dog owners spend about $123 monthly, while cat owners spend about $75. Save money on pet toys through discounts or try the do-it-yourself (DIY) method. Most pet toys only last a short while, but the cost varies from $5-$30 per month or $360 per year. Looking towards discounted options is a possible solution for owners attempting to pay down debts.
If your cat or dog goes through toys quickly, find a thick bone or durable scratching post that will take time. Make your pet toys using the DIY method. Utilize household items like toilet paper rolls, yarn, or old clothing to tie together and create something fun for your pet to play with.
2. How to Cut Costs on Pet Grooming
DIY pet grooming can save you thousands of dollars per year! A trip to the groomer costs anywhere from $60- $100 per pet. The groomer usually performs an entire body session, including bathing, nail clipping, pet hair trimming, ear cleaning, and blow drying. There are alternative solutions to pet hygiene, like using grooming gloves for cats or grooming gloves for dogs. If you’re a first-time pet owner, invest in the right grooming tools today to save money in the long run. Below is a list of ways to self-groom your pet:
- Make a Grooming Schedule: Grooming varies per pet. Cats may only need grooming once a month, while dogs may need it bi-weekly. Create a grooming schedule that works for you and your pet.
- Get the Proper Pet Grooming Tools: Cut costs on bathing, trimming, and hygiene with these pet grooming tools from HICC PET™, suitable to use on sensitive areas like the face and private regions:
- Use Pet Safe Shampoos and Conditioners: Many pet shampoos and conditioners have harmful ingredients that dry or irritate your pet’s skin over time. Look for ethically sourced ingredients that are non-toxic and 100% pet-friendly. For more ways to clean your pet without baths, look into HICC PET™ pet grooming products that work as a bathing alternative.
- Create a Pet-Friendly Grooming Environment: Set your tub up with a non-slip mat and detachable shower nozzle to make grooming easier. For tough jobs like nail trimming, get in touch with a professional team that offers cheap services.
3. Ways to Save Money on Pet Training
Pet training takes time and effort, but if you do it correctly, you can save loads on professional services. Cats do not typically need as much training as dogs, so here are some tips to self-train your pet and avoid breaking the bank.
- Group Dog Training: Some companies offer group training classes at a discounted rate or for free. If you are a pet owner living in New York City, check out these free dog training classes offered in areas like Queens. If you live in a different city or state, research affordable dog training in your area.
- Online Dog Training Courses: There are many ways to find free training material online. Look into dog training videos on YouTube or a certified course. These courses teach you the ins and outs of dog conditioning, using rewards, socializing your pup, and modifying aggressive or hyper behavior.
- One-Day Training Workshops: If you don’t have time to dedicate eight weeks to dog training, weekend workshops or one-day seminars are suitable options. These workshops will teach you the fundamentals of dog training. Learn the best techniques that will lead you to manage your dog’s temperament and follow basic commands. Remember that self-training takes time and patience. Train your dog consistently to instill permanent good behavior.
4. How to Find Healthy and Affordable Pet Foods
Diet and nutrition are essential to your pet’s long and healthy lifestyle. A well-balanced diet for pets maintains energy levels, increases metabolism, and reduces body odors. Many owners believe you have to spend a fortune on good pet food, but many generic brands offer the same benefits at a fraction of the cost.
Avoid pet foods that use corn or grains as their main ingredients. A proper diet for cats and dogs will contain fewer carbs, sugars, and more meats and proteins. Speak to your veterinarian to create a specific diet for sensitive pets. Check out this list of healthy and affordable pet foods for cats and dogs.
Healthy and Inexpensive Dog Food Brands:
- Instinct Raw
- Wholehearted Grain Free Puppy Food
- Dr. Marty’s Nature Blend
- Instant Fresh Dog Food
Healthy and Inexpensive Cat Food Brands:
- LucyPet: Formulas for life
- Instinct Raw
- Vital Cat Recipe
- Country Vet Naturals
- Bench & Field Holistic Natural Formula
5. Pet Insurance Discount Plans
Pets need vaccinations and regular check-ups to prevent sickness or diseases from occurring. Pet insurance ranges from $30-70 dollars per month, excluding services like neutering or emergency care. A sudden emergency may set your finances back and leave you in debt. Find an affordable pet insurance plan that covers wellness services like check-ups, vaccinations, and exams.
There are a variety of pet insurance discount plans that cost as little as $10 a month but may not cover treatments like surgery. Another option is enrolling in a pet insurance savings plan. These savings plans offer discounts on medical and emergency services at a lower cost than standard pet insurance.
6. Using Preventive Care to Save Money on Pet Expenses
The best way to avoid costly expenses from sickness is to stop them before they occur. Accidents happen, so you can’t plan for everything in life, but preventive care lessens the likelihood of a medical emergency. Learn about the common pet diseases and risks based on your pet’s breed and lifestyle. For example, many cats four years or older live with tooth decay leading to dental disease over time.
Routinely cleaning your cat’s teeth is a form of preventive care to stop plaque buildup. There are several pet products available that offer natural solutions for long-term preventative care. We recommend preventive care products like HICC PET™ grooming gloves for dogs or grooming gloves for cats. These disposable gloves work to strengthen your pet’s immune system and protect the skin barrier against harmful microbes.
7. Find Affordable Boarding Care For Your Pet
Searching for a trustworthy pet boarding company with fair prices is challenging! If friends and family are not an option to watch your fur baby, then it’s time to look into a pet-sitting company that fits your needs. Apps like Rover allow pet-sitting professionals to enter the home and watch over your pet while you’re away. You can shop around for sitters with reasonable prices and great reviews or negotiate the costs if necessary.
8. Stay Up-To-Date With Vaccinations and Regular Care
Try not to let time get ahead if you have a busy schedule. Stay on top of any scheduled check-ups or vaccinations your pet may need. Heartworms slow the heart and eventually cause death. The medication prevents the onset of heartworms in cats and dogs. Lower your pet’s risk of outside ailments by sticking to their routine care.
HICC Pet™ Pet Wipes Save You Time and Money on Vet Visits
At HICC PET™, we are all about preventive pet care. Our products use natural and ethically sourced ingredients to clean and protect your pet’s skin. Grooming gloves for cats deeply penetrate the skin to eliminate harmful bacteria and support the immune processes. Whether you have a hairless Sphynx or furry house cat, our gloves help the healing process for open wounds, rashes, allergies, and more that pets commonly suffer from. We offer wash gloves for dogs, deodorizing pet wipes, dental pet wipes, and other preventive care products to stop destructive bacteria before it starts. Visit us online to browse our organic pet wellness line.